The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Friday October 9, 2020 at 07:45
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On October 8, 2020 at 14:33, Ernie Gilman said...
?
You contradict me, then contradict yourself.
My point was that stereo is not a characteristic of the space that sound exists in; it's a characteristic of the way sounds are presented in the space.

You're totally right about the 742 different "spaces" that you can dial up on your average Yamaha product. Yamaha does some spiffy things, but I've never understood the appeal of
taking two channels (or more) recorded in a room, with the room sometimes affecting the frequency response and image of the sound;
these signals are sent through various surround settings, each of which modifies the frequency response and image of the sound;
and finally this recorded sound is played in a room, which affects the frequency response and image of the sound.

There was some system in the mid 90s where I had ONE and only ONE use for the surround modes: when I put it into STADIUM, every customer could hear that something (mostly garbage echo) was coming out of the rear speakers!

I added the part about monaural preemptively because I knew you would correct me if I left it as 'we hear stereo'.

The worst thing about having all of those modes is that on the OEM remote, they only have a few buttons that go directly to a small number of them. The rest require scrolling. For days.

Well, until someone flings the remote into the wall or fireplace.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse