The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Thursday October 8, 2020 at 14:33
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On October 6, 2020 at 18:51, Ernie Gilman said...
"The room isn't stereo when the AVR is not on."

On October 7, 2020 at 00:12, highfigh said...
No, EVERYTHING is stereo because that's how we hear (actually, binaural)

?
You contradict me, then contradict yourself.
until the AVR turns on and screws it up with some cockamamie scheme that was invented to impress people who don't know better.

My point was that stereo is not a characteristic of the space that sound exists in; it's a characteristic of the way sounds are presented in the space.

You're totally right about the 742 different "spaces" that you can dial up on your average Yamaha product. Yamaha does some spiffy things, but I've never understood the appeal of
taking two channels (or more) recorded in a room, with the room sometimes affecting the frequency response and image of the sound;
these signals are sent through various surround settings, each of which modifies the frequency response and image of the sound;
and finally this recorded sound is played in a room, which affects the frequency response and image of the sound.

There was some system in the mid 90s where I had ONE and only ONE use for the surround modes: when I put it into STADIUM, every customer could hear that something (mostly garbage echo) was coming out of the rear speakers!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse