The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Wednesday July 29, 2020 at 08:34
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On July 28, 2020 at 17:01, goldenzrule said...
I sent him an email with specific questions to ask and instructed him to jot down the answers. We'll see. Google WiFi is terrible. Beyond terrible, yet because it has the name Google attached to it, I see unsuspecting people recommending it all the time. Always for their sub 2000 square foot square, sheetrock house with 10 devices MAX on wifi. I did a job 2 weeks ok that also had Altice One. It was being installed while I was there. The client asked the cable guy, and not me, about getting better wifi signal upstairs. Keep in mind, Altice One uses the cable boxes as access points. Rather than say just add a cable box upstairs, he tells him to get Google WiFi. Said he uses it at home with Altice One and loves it. So I stepped in and said you cannot use Google WiFi with Altice one as neither system can be bridged, so you end with a Double NAT. Before I could finish, he said, I love the Double NAT, I can be on one network and my son games on the other. I just said to the client, we'll talk when he leaves.

I think the lake house with the Google that replaced EERO may be getting some new EERO, at some point. The electrician had installed a bunch of Nest cameras and thermostats, they have lots of hand-helds & laptops and the last time I could see what was on the network, I think they had 23 devices.

If only they trained their techs to understand that 'Double NAT' is not the same as having two somewhat isolated SSIDs. Maybe you could have asked him what 'NAT' is.

I had an interesting conversation with one of the engineers who works in the cellular phone area for ATT- the installers for the cell towers and other infrastructure caused many performance problems by using the wrong connectors, wrong tools, bending the crap out of 7/8" coax in the sheds and band-aids to fix problems that wouldn't be terribly difficult to solve, if done correctly.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse