Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Saturday July 25, 2020 at 17:42
SB Smarthomes
July 2007
On July 25, 2020 at 01:43, Brad Humphrey said...
I just went to the back of my truck and got a piece of the Cleerline for you. It is the single mode, 6 fiber, DB, armored cable. You can bend it into a pretty tight loop, enough to curve in a single gang box. And the pull strength on this stuff is amazing. That outer multi-core tube around the fiber, protects it extremely well.

The only problem is the cost. The tag line all these fiber companies keep giving is how fiber is almost the same cost as cat these days. But that isn't the cost of these Direct Burial Armored cables - which is what you are most likely needing fiber for.

Also, someone mentioned indoor/outdoor fiber. The 2 big brands in this category for CI installers, both have cable listed as indoor/outdoor and NEITHER is suitable for burial. Currently the only cable they make for burial (that I've seen) is the cable that is also armored.

I really appreciate you taking the time to look at the fiber and respond.  I've been through the Cleerline catalog online and saw the indoor/outdoor rated fiber but wasn't sure about it's longevity in wet conduit.

The armored stuff looked like what I need, but didn't know if it would work with the small junction boxes.  At all locations the conduit comes in and out of the bottom of a 1-gang bell box positioned vertically.

For fiber, I'd usually come into an 8x8 or 10x10 junction box which leaves room for a service loop and terminations if needed.

Here's a photo of what I have to work with.  It's the box in the foreground with the fish tape beside it.

[img][/img]
www.sbsmarthomes.com
Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Hosting Services by ipHouse