Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday July 23, 2020 at 22:25
SB Smarthomes
July 2007
I need to get Ethernet 390ft to a vehicular gate intercom.  310ft would be through existing 3/4" conduit and the last 80ft is through basement crawlspace to the rack location.

I haven't terminated fiber in a long time, but have experience going back almost 30 years when terminating involved heated epoxy and hand polishing so not scared of it.

I fished pull line through the conduit today and there are 5 pull junctions along the way so the longest distance between pull points is 102ft and the shortest if 58ft.

My concern with fiber is the pull points have the 3/4" conduit sweeping up into 1-gang bell boxes so I'm concerned the bend radius will be too tight inside the 1-gang box.  Might be possible to swap the 1-gang bell boxes for 2-gang, but some of the locations will have interference with other junction boxes, conduit, etc.

Does anyone have a recommendation for fiber supplier/distributor that might have a gel filled fiber that would work with the small bend radius (I don't think there's any chance of getting armored fiber in there)?

I guess the alternative would just be to run CAT6 DB and install a switch along the path.  There's a junction about half way that even has power, but I'd probably just stick a small PoE switch in a Cantex box.

The "Do it right" guy inside me says to invest in the necessary fiber kit and run fiber, but maybe I'm over complicating things and should just run copper.

We don't have lightening here, so that's not really a concern.
www.sbsmarthomes.com
Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Hosting Services by ipHouse