The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Monday May 25, 2020 at 11:23
Lyndel McGee
RC Moderator
August 2001
For others out there who might want to avoid this issue. Here is the cause and a recommendation that will save you this headache. It only takes 1 time of not following these procedures to encounter an issue..

There is now a blown/melted a transformer on the RFX9x00 emitter port that was connected to the Xantech block. In cases where the transformer is melted and not blown, you will still get some voltage output from RFX9x00, but the current is not enough to drive an emitter.

Note that repairing the RFX9x00 emitter port is possible if you can find the transformers. I tried it thanks to GoPronto but was unsuccessful. Hence, I have a RFX9x00 sitting in my garage with 1 fried IR port.

When this happened to me (still kick myself about it) this is how my setup was connected.

1. The usual cable between RFX9x00 and Xantech connecting block is 3 wires and has a stereo plug on one end and a mono plug on the other end.

2. The Xantech block has a 12VDC supply via a barrel plug and Wall-Wart which is connected directly to the block.

3. The Mono plug of cable is connected to IR emitter port on RFX9x00.

4. The Stereo plug of cable is connected to Xantech IR Receiver Input.

If you remove the stereo plug that is connected (#4 above) prior to removing the mono plug that is connected (#3 above) to the RFX9x00 emitter port, while pulling stereo plug out of the jack on the Xantech (#4 above), there is a VERY GOOD chance that you will send 12VDC back into the RFX9x00. This will VERY LIKELY cause a very small surface mount transformer on the circuit board to blow. Might even hear a puff of smoke.

To avoid any issues. I recommend the following order for disassembly.

Step 1 - Remove the Barrel Power Plug from Connecting Block (#2 above) (Xantech no longer has 12VDC).
Step 2 - Remove the mono plug from RFX9x00 emitter jack.(#3 above)
Step 3 - Remove the stereo plug from Xantech emitter input jack (#4 above)

Reverse this procedure for reassembly.
Lyndel McGee
Philips Pronto Addict/Beta Tester

Hosting Services by ipHouse