Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 98 made on Sunday February 23, 2020 at 14:59
P2P
Long Time Member
April 2012
YES!  Well said.

On February 23, 2020 at 12:02, punter16 said...
There's a lot of good stuff above. In addition to his points, things that have helped to make us more successful and that have cut down on frustration are:

T&M (like noted above). You don't know what you're getting into on many projects and that isn't your fault. T&M is fair for you and the client if you know your product lines.

I've been T&M for the past 15 years.  Won't do it any other way.

Client pays for initial consult...why, oh why do people continue to do this for free?

An why do people credit it back if the project is sold?  This is just another form of giving it away for free.  Stop doing it!  Charge for everything.

Do you think the architect is crediting his design time back to the client if they decide to build the house?

$$$: Charge enough to stay in business and give yourself the life you want. They're too expensive? Maybe you're too cheap.

Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean your client can't.  Stop looking at projects with your own wallet.

And stop giving other things away too:
- charge for your travel time, even if it is at your cost just to cover expenses.
- stop eating shipping charges.  Pass them on to your client who ordered it (without markup).  Shipping is NOT 'just the cost of doing business.'

Raise your rates!  Especially if you're busy.

I've done all of this consistently for many, many years.  How many clients have questioned my business practices and fee structure?  ZERO.  Not one.

Last edited by P2P on February 23, 2020 15:08.

Hosting Services by ipHouse