The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 91 made on Friday February 21, 2020 at 15:41
Fins
Elite Member
June 2007
On February 21, 2020 at 13:53, Mac Burks (39) said...
My point is that the "cable box" is still going to be a "box". Instead of motorola on the label it will be Roku or Apple TV. Comcast has a streaming box called Flex because they want to do away with roku and appletv. At some point...my guess is 20 years...they will have no box and suggest no box because all TVs will have their app built in.

I remember the story about the $20 million dollar system where they were going to "get rid of all the boxes". Like how? How are you getting rid of them? Oh you mean you are going to have Control4 boxes instead of Crestron boxes.

DirecTV is dead. I see hundreds of their satellites rusting on the side of apartment buildings in Chicago. Everyone has moved to Comcast. AT&T is a wired product so they aren't spending any more money on satellite.

Yes, in some way there will still be boxes. There will be TVs, and sources boxes, and amps, and light switches or centralized systems*, an thermostats, and alarms, and all of those. But as for control systems? I’m starting to think more and more homes, devices will be connected through google or Apple. Or if other products like Crestron or C4 do survive, they will likely be cloud based too. I realized yesterday that a Sony TV now is a Google Home hub. You put a Sony TV in and you can put in a nest doorbell and say “ok google, show me front door” and the tv will pop up the doorbell cam. Or add google compatible light switches and through the voice input of the tv, control those lights.

On the subject of lighting, also from watching my kids, where I used to think smart bulbs were a stupid concept and would never last, I’m starting to think they may become common in At least average homes. They are easy for anyone to replace, you don’t have to be an electrician, and they are inexpensive.
Civil War reenactment is LARPing for people with no imagination.

Hosting Services by ipHouse