The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 84 made on Saturday February 15, 2020 at 09:49
Rob Grabon
Founding Member
November 2001
On February 15, 2020 at 09:28, Mac Burks (39) said...
It will be 2 decades before they ditch the "cable box" because people will hold on to their TVs until they die. I have a 15 year old 42" Samsung plasma in my basement thats still kicking. At some point in 20 years most TVs will have an app for xfinity on them and they can get rid of their black box.

In the meantime they are transitioning people from the "cable box" to their little "roku knockoff" called Flex. In my area if you have an internet package you can get a free (for now) flex box that lets you access all your streaming apps via their voice remote. [Link: xfinity.com] So yes technically they are moving away from the traditional cable box...but...they are moving you to the new streaming cable box.

They have less than 3 years to evolve.

Set top cable companies are loosing ground quickly against streaming services. They have to evolve, for exactly the same discussions through out this thread. Their tightrope is price, how do we justify $100 for cable box setups a month vs $50 for a streaming app?

And they loose out on vacation homes too. Already a pivoting point for many of our clients. Data to two houses, one streaming service for both, $250 a month vs $400.

If it was you building a house today, would you put coax to every TV? or similar to having a Disc Player, only the prime set, and network apps for the rest? (not for your clients, but your own home)
Technology is cheap, Time is expensive.

Hosting Services by ipHouse