Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 41 made on Tuesday February 11, 2020 at 20:21
sirroundsound
November 2003
One should also remember, the equipment that is controlled from it's own app, still needs to be installed for many clients.
I have recently put together some fairly simple systems without a 1 size fits all control system.
Example - Small Condo system
Lutron RA2, using Grafik T dimmers and keypads and glass cover plates. Also Lutron Shades in the suite.
Three TV's, with local 4K cable boxes and Apple TV, or Smart TV features. Control from Harmony Elite remotes.
Yamaha Speaker bars for two of the TV's. Yamaha MusicCast for a couple of rooms and balcony music.
Nest thermostats.
Lutron App, Nest App and Yamaha music app. Could have Harmony app, but he uses the remotes for TV watching and is comfortable with them in his hand.
Simple, it all works and client seems to think it is all very easy to use.
Other than the physical install of items, the Lutron RA2 was the thing that took the longest to set up and "program", and this being a condo meant that there really was not a lot to do. Nest set up is quick and easy, as is the Harmony remotes, which I could just duplicate and rename once I did the first one.
In, out, get paid.
Still a $35k+ project, and not a lot of headaches, and I made money on everything (Ok, Nest was not a lot of money but everything else was decent)
Regardless of how cheap or easy things may appear to our clients, they will always rely on us to recommend what works, and want us to deal with installing it all.
We also have higher end voice command with companies like Josh, and I would guess that we will see more coming. Alexa and Google might be the big ones, but people that want total control via Voice and total security will easily be sold whatever becomes the higher end system of choice. But, like Alexa and Google Home, whomever makes something better, had better make sure it works.

Hosting Services by ipHouse