Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Monday February 10, 2020 at 18:45
buzz
May 2003
On February 10, 2020 at 15:56, Fins said...
Her words were she doesn’t like the Elan app. She likes the individual apps
better.

A typical App's uncluttered look seems "simple". But, the user must drill down, down, down, and down in order to accomplish anything. To some extent I find that phone/pad users tend to welcome excuses to stroke their phone/pad. In this context the drill down is a plus. I hate drill down.

Another aspect of Apps and universal remotes is that they are generally slower than native remotes because of their own operational and communication needs. The universal remote usually has a slow processor and there is a delay while it struggles through the program. If the universal remote is using a processor, rather than direct IR, the remote must communicate (dedicated RF, WiFi, Z-Wave, Zigbe) with it's processor, then the processor must execute command(s) that may imply additional communication links with controlled devices. The App will usually use WiFi to communicate with the device. In some cases the transaction might take a trip through the Cloud. A direct IR or Bluetooth communication is much faster. (probably because inside the device direct native commands have a higher priority than network or RS-232 commands)

On a universal remote one can issue a bunch of commands for the "Watch TV" macro button. In terms of elapsed time, this will probably be faster than using individual remotes or Apps, but it seems slower while one waits for the commands to spew.

With hardware buttons one can operate the remote by touch. With a touch panel one must constantly change eye focus between the control screen and the TV screen or a device front panel. Compared to a device's App, a screen based universal remote usually has inferior user feedback.

With all of these drawbacks, coupled with the inept universal remote programming that I've seen, it is no wonder that the customer wants to ditch the control system.

Hosting Services by ipHouse