The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 17 made on Sunday February 9, 2020 at 11:43
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On February 8, 2020 at 22:44, Brad Humphrey said...
This is no different than the coffee table with 5 remotes laying on it. People just have to be educated.

That's not completely true. They have to be educated, sure, but they also have to become convinced that a) it's simpler for them to use that control system, and b) they give a damn about using it instead of an individual remote. For me, I'd also add that the "remote" has to have buttons labeled with the actual functions they control. This NEVER happens with a hard-button remote.

For me, at home we have a DirecTV remote that controls the DVR, TV Power, and the volume on a Yamaha receiver. That's what we use for 99% of our viewing.

Is there ANY remote that controls a DirecTV receiver as easily as a DirecTV remote? It's well-organized, and hey -- all the buttons are correctly labeled.

There's a dumb reality to our "system" -- DirecTV was not able to come up with a set of control codes for Yamaha products that includes a discrete ON command (though it has an OFF*), so we just freakin' leave the AVR on all the time! We'll put up with having the AVR powered up all the time rather than being forced to use a remote for the DVR that doesn't have the perfect set of buttons.

And some people just will never get it. Back when the youngest daughter was 15 (this was 10 years ago), she used to listen to music by way of YouTube videos. I showed her & explained Pandora, Spotify, etc. and using the home NAS.
But she continued to just want to use the crappy YouTube for music (with sound from her laptop speakers - she had an audio system in her room). Mind you at that time (about 2010), YouTube audio was pretty crappy by itself.

So I agree. A 15 year old girls opinion means squat. lol

This ignores what you just said about your own daughter. Fifteen year old girls become 25 year old women. You tell us what your daughter did ten years ago, but if she does the same thing now, then the opinion of a 15 year old girl is indeed worth paying attention to.

*I might have this backwards: I haven't turned off the AVR for several years.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse