Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday June 9, 2006 at 19:34
DrJoe
Founding Member
January 2002
Well, I was able to do it.

I purchased a Nino 300 on eBay for $10 including shipping. I received it this afternoon.

First disassemble your pronto. See Joey6P's website ([Link: joey6p.com]) for instructions.

Please see [Link: realitydiluted.com] for a picture of a disassembled Nino. Opening it isn't hard if you are going to trash it. Pry the buttons off the side, and on the back remove the batteries and battery cover, and two screws (all the screws are phillips, not torx) at the bottom of the battery compartment. Don't worry about the screw on the mother board battery cover -- it is attached to the case. The case slips easily off. There are a couple of screws holding the circuit board down, remove them.

Lift the circuit board off of the case. Pop the cable to the speaker off the circuitboard. Now separate the screen from the PCB. To release the ribbon cable you pop it up, like a hatch (not a slide like the pronto). The screen has a plastic frame like the pronto's; slip it off. Before you put the plastic frame from the pronto onto the new screen. note that there are somedevices on the left side of the screen near the top of the display which interfere with the frame. See [Link: realitydiluted.com] -- the three devices are in the upper left side of the display. I used a wire cutter to clip the edge of the plastic frame, then a knife to partially cut the vertical edge of the plastic. Working it up and down then popped it off, leaving clearance for the devices. I'll post a picture before the end of next week.

Then you follow Joey6P's instructios for reassembling the pronto. Voiola! It works!

This screen is only good for use in black and white Prontos (TSU2000, TS1000, RU890, RU940).

It looks like Nino 300 series PDA's are fairly common on eBay, and go for $10-20 with shipping. Do not purchase a Nino 500, it has a color screen that is not compatible with the black and white Prontos.

Joe

Last edited by DrJoe on April 28, 2008 13:37.

Hosting Services by ipHouse