The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Sunday December 15, 2019 at 08:53
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On December 15, 2019 at 07:56, Craig Aguiar-Winter said...
Hey all. A client wants me to put ceiling speakers in the soffit of his covered porch. I’m in Ontario so summers are hot with high humidity and winters are down right offensive.

I’m using Beale Street Audio inside. These have enclosures (ported), aluminium tweeters, poly or carbon woofers and rubber surrounds. All elements we see in “outdoor” speakers. I see in the descriptions of other speakers of similar construction that they are perfect for high humidity environments like bathrooms and covered porches.

So my question is, am I inviting disaster by using these out in his covered porch? Should I seek an actual outdoor ceiling speaker?

What have you done?

Thanks.

Craig.

I guess one question that needs to be asked is: "Will they be used during Winter?". Some handle it, some don't but the spec sheet should show the acceptable operating temperature range or maybe a call to tech support is needed. Butyl rubber surrounds definitely handle more abuse and last longer than foam, so that would be the first thing I look for. If they won't be in direct sunlight, I'm not sure the temperature will be an issue and if they will be, make sure to manage the clients' expectations for lifespan.

I try to avoid exposure to direct sunlight except in early Spring or late Fall and if it's unavoidable, I try to avoid exposing the face with the drivers to sunlight. For the rest of the year, they're left in place- I don't remember seeing any instructions to remove these during the worst weather.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse