The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Friday November 15, 2019 at 12:37
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On November 14, 2019 at 17:46, Fred Harding said...
Have you tried attaching the black lead off the tone generator to ground on the Fluke? My experience is that really ups the level, making it easier to find with the want. Not sure which iteration of Intellitone you have...

Don Heany would like this, and we all should know about it.

Toner instruction is usually to connect the two wires from the tone generator to a wire pair. This results in a usually very clean tone signal that you can pick up at the other end of a hundred foot long wire (or any place along the way). But the nature of wire pairs is that their construction tends to cancel them out.

So a MUCH stronger signal can be put on the wire by grounding one output of the tone generator -- either output, red or black -- and connecting the other one to one of the wire conductor. I've traced wires in an attic from the room below over a distance of sixty feet using this method, where I was waving the wand above my head and the wires put out a signal great enough to be picked up by the wand.

If the wire is in a conduit, or the wire conductor you choose is grounded, this method is pretty much useless.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse