Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday November 7, 2019 at 04:51
crosen
April 2009
We have an outdoor network camera powered via POE from a rack through around 125' of cat6. We also have 18/2 run from the rack to the same location of the camera. Our goal is to add additional POE cameras (perhaps 1 or 2) at various locations within 20' of the first camera. No other wiring and no power is available at the camera location.

My thought is to add network capacity by running the cat6 into a POE switch and then power that switch using the 18/2. (Either the switch would be outdoor rated, or more likely we would use an outdoor enclosure.) Could I possibly take the manufacturer supplied power cord, splice in the 18/2 and be done with it?

For the sake of example, let's say the switch I'd like to use is the Netgear GS305P switch:
[Link: images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

My guess is that this will not work because of voltage drop (and perhaps other electrical changes/anomalies) introduced by inserting 125' of 18/2 into the manufacturer supplied cord. Does anyone know for sure? Or, are there network switches designed to be powered this way? Any other ideas?
If it's not simple, it's not sufficiently advanced.

Hosting Services by ipHouse