The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday September 10, 2019 at 14:49
blgentry
Lurking Member
September 2019
My old MX-500 was a great remote. But the coating got all sticky nasty and then when I tried to clean it, I made it really ugly. Plus a BUNCH of the keys stick now. So it's time for a different remote.

I bought a Harmony 665 as a test. It works OK. The computer based programming is a pain. The remote is slow. Pressing an arrow key 5 or 6 times in a row, it doesn't send the commands right away. I watch the on screen display keep moving for a second or two after I'm done. Adjusting volume on my receiver is the same. Press up 10 times and wait 2 seconds for it to catch up. I've adjusted a bunch of different delays and it's better, but still slow.

The layout of the 665 is ok, but I can't easily locate common keys by touch like I could with the MX-500.

The MX-650 looks to be pretty much exactly what I want. Unless it's going to age poorly over the next few years? Someone recommended the MX-450 to me and it looks quite good. But the shape and button layout are questionable to me. I'm not sure if I'll be able to easily find Volume, arrow pad, and "back" by touch on that remote as easily as the 500 or 650.

I'm assuming that both the 450 and 650 are "instant" in terms of sending commands with no pause in between. If not I would be a bit frustrated.

One thing I do like about the Harmony 665 is that the color LCD lights up via motion. Pick up the remote and the screen comes on. Shortly after setting it down, it turns off. I would guess that the 650 is on all the time like the 500. What about the 450's screen?

I'm planning to keep the Harmony 665 and use it as a "database remote" so I can get discrete codes and things like that to teach to whichever URC remote I get.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Brian.

Hosting Services by ipHouse