Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Tuesday September 3, 2019 at 23:17
cma
August 2003
I'm going through the exact same thing right now. I'm 49, have owned my own company for 15 years now, no real retirement, what I had got wiped out in the 2008-2010 downturn. I'm burnt out on this industry and honestly if I never hung another TV I'd die a happy man.

I've been rocking business wise for the last 3 years doing mostly larger commercial access control and camera systems with the random residential job thrown in. I'm done with residential, yes I charge up the rear for it and the systems I work on average in the lower 6 figure range. Tired of being blamed for service provider issues such as Amazon Prime "Insufficient Bandwith" errors when the client has a 200Mb internet connection, tired of being called on Friday evening because Xfinity internet or cable is down.. and so on and so on. The last 3 years I've experimented with using subs that I know to do some of my installation work and I pretty much always need to go over everything they do and fix half of it. I tried using reps to do design work for me as they always offer it up only to find on a recent commercial Lutron job that the rep didn't bother to read anything on the prints and completey F'd the entire design up so I ended up spending all of he time on it fixing his mistakes that I would have spent doing it in the first place. Tried using my accountant to do more of the day to day invoicing stuff which worked for entering bills and payments but I still have to work with them to put together invoices to make sure everything gets billed for correctly.

In the end, I have about $490K in 3 commercial projects going on right now. When they are done some time mid next year I'm done. Maybe I'll get a job at one of the ski resorts as a bartender, who knows.

I'm playing hooky tomorrow and going Elk hunting.. at least my cell phone doesn't work up on the mountain.

Hosting Services by ipHouse