Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Tuesday September 3, 2019 at 22:50
punter16
May 2011
On September 3, 2019 at 18:07, Brad Humphrey said...
This is one of the worst industries to work in these days IMO.

In order to be good at it, we have to wear so many hats and be experts in each of the fields. So many dealers (including many on here) just can't do that or even care to be an expert in anything but one thing. The amount of training, research, and test equipment we must own (again if we are good & serious), is ridiculous versus the amount of money we make.

I recently saw the beginning of that movie 'Pixels' with Adam Sandler. Didn't watch it but saw where an A/V installer was basically portrayed as no more sophisticated or intelligent as the kid working at McDonalds. Very sad, made me angry, and realized that this is the sentiment most people have towards this trade these days.

After 28 years now working in this industry, I have not $1 saved for retirement. Not much of anything else to show for it either.
Obviously others have done much better than me, especially if they really focused on the business side of things and concentrated on just making money. But I know of no one that was gotten rich or 'well to do' by working in this industry.

Most likely outcome is work till death. If you can find ANYTHING else to do for a living, I suggest you desperately try and find it now. Unlikely things are going to ever get better.

This is a great thread and it should serve as a cautionary tale. If you think your rates are cheap to reasonable, raise your hourly rate $10-$20/hr.

If you're tired of getting phone calls from cheapos...raise your rates.

The best thing we ever did for our business was to raise our rates. In our case, I completely believe that our level of service is absolutely worth what we charge our clients.

Ask yourself "Is it more important for customers to get a good deal or for me to retire comfortably at some point?" You should charge enough to keep yourself in business and to afford a good lifestyle now and in the future.
See our Youtube page for info about smart homes, great audio and more.

[Link: youtube.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse