The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Sunday August 25, 2019 at 11:09
goldenzrule
Loyal Member
July 2007
On August 25, 2019 at 01:17, KenSmith58 said...
I've had urc remotes for approx. 12 yrs. starting with a mx-500. I've always programmed them myself and liked the job I did. I've got 2 mx-980's and 2 mx-3000's. Approx. 3 yrs. ago I downloaded the icons, etc. offered at blackmancustoms and used it with success. Took a little while to figure it out but it wasn't that difficult.
I just can't figure out why people that aren't dealers are so loyal to a company that doesn't treat the public fair(in my opinion).

How many people are loyal to Apple?  Will they provide you with software to program their devices?  I get that there is a difference in that an Apple device is usable out of the box (barely), but the fact still remains there is no way in hell that anyone outside the walls of Apple is getting their hands on that.  It's the business model.  Like it or hate it, it is what it is.  I believe that someone with intelligence can figure out how to program a URC remote.  It may take a little more time, but no reason it cannot be learned.

With that said, there are not many pro level offerings in the remote world that are not network connected, and offer a simple remote that will control a wide range of things.  RTI is another that will never give out the software as well.  The difference between the two is that they have a clear cut policy, unlike URCs ridiculous one that at least one member here, that is secretly a URC employee, likes to argue with me about.  The list basically stops at those two companies at this time (in the pro world). For me, its not about not wanting a diyer to have the URC software, it has everything to do with the fact that I don't have time, nor want to support that person if/when questions pop up.  Everyone SAYS they won't need help, but there is no way to know who will and who won't.  I simply do not offer the software up and solve that issue.  I feel for people that purchased remotes back in the day when URC provided software who got a new computer and lost the software.  I don't feel as bad for people that bought a remote recently that wants to program it themselves.  The reason being is the only place to buy a remote without a dealer is from unauthorized channels.  If a person calls me and asks for the remote but without programming, I thank them for reaching out to us, but respectfully decline to sell them the hardware and explain why.  If they are angry, there is nothing I can do.  I say again that the anger needs to be placed on the ones who created the issue, URC and not those that are simply trying to run their legitimate business.

Hosting Services by ipHouse