The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Tuesday August 13, 2019 at 21:52
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
I want to offer a word of caution about ChannelMaster, and Winegard, and really just about any antenna company that's offering actual designed antennas. It has to do with baluns.

The caution is this: when they say balun, they mean "balun" in the sense that it's a balun. I mean, a balun. You know... balun. Bal-un. For a change.

Now, I know we're used to all sorts of things being called baluns, but these are actual freakin' baluns, not fitty cent POS* wiring adaptors. I mean, they adapt a native 300 ohmish impedance BALANCED antenna signal to a 75 ohm UNBALANCED transmission line (yes, that's a technical term, not just words thrown together). In the process the transformer very often isolates the unbalanced signal ground from the two leads of the antenna. Oh, and those letters are highlighted above to point out BAL + UN = BALUN. Which means it is only pronounced "bay-lun" by ignorant Philistines and rat bastards who have no idea what the history of their chosen occupation is.

*doesn't mean "point of sale" here
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse