The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 23 made on Wednesday August 7, 2019 at 10:34
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
From the link-"The practice of always charging customers a fee for credit card payments, no matter how the transaction takes place, is called a surcharge. These are currently prohibited in 10 states—Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Convenience fees are a subset of credit card surcharges, and are permitted in all states. However, laws govern when a business can and cannot charge their customers a fee.

Convenience fees, like surcharges, must be clearly displayed at the point of sale. Therefore, if you discover a fee only after the transaction is processed, you can submit a complaint with your credit card network. The network will then follow up with the merchant in question.

Credit card convenience fees can only be charged when a merchant is offering an alternative method of payment, one that's different from how it normally conducts business. This distinction exists because the fee is applied towards the way the transaction is handled, instead of the actual payment method. To clarify: a museum in New York may not impose a convenience fee at the register, if that is how most people buy their tickets. However, if they launch a program which allows individuals to purchase tickets online by inserting their credit card details, a convenience fee may be added. The convenience fee is paid because of the payment by online, and not specifically because the customer used a credit card.

The rules that govern convenience fees do not apply to government and educational institutions. These organizations are allowed to charge convenience fees both in person and online."

[Link: valuepenguin.com]

If I do a lot of labor on a project, it's less of a hit than if I were to sell TVs, BD players, Sonos (through distribution), EERO or other goods that have short margins, but I'm not giving up 3% just because someone wants more miles or other benefits from the card.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse