The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 29 made on Monday August 5, 2019 at 09:54
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On August 4, 2019 at 21:22, tomciara said...
I still don’t get why you won’t invest in one of those simple outlet testers. You can get some pretty good answers instantly.

I don’t remember why, but I was replacing a projector at a guys house, and I found a wiring fault in the projector outlet with my tester. Told him to get it fixed before I came back with his new projector. He hired an electrician, and found one of the wall outlets had wires reversed, affecting a couple outlets following it.

Those testers are cheap and very useful. Your multimeter is also required for testing but will mostly show faults but not tell what’s wrong.

I'm sure most of us carry something in our vehicles that use AC- small fans, work lights, etc. Any of those can help when the tester shows good but things don't work- if it looks good but a light or fan won't work, the voltage is there, but the available current isn't.

A meter can tell if the hot and neutral have been swapped- measure from the hot and neutral to ground- one should show voltage, the other shouldn't.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse