The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 25 made on Sunday August 4, 2019 at 21:08
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On August 4, 2019 at 11:55, highfigh said...
Didn't see "...when I tried to cut the hot wire..."?

Yes, I saw that. But first I saw this:

On August 3, 2019 at 09:26, highfigh said...
I made a nice wire stripper out of a needle nose pliers for my dad. That wasn't the goal,

I took this to mean that making a nice wire stripper out of a needle nose pliers for your dad WASN'T THE GOAL because you stated something, then said "that," a word used to refer to something that has previously been described. But you meant "that" to refer to what's coming next. Sorry.

If those had been in the same sentence, I might understand how you could think this, but they weren't.

A similar thing is going on here -- it's not totally clear just what the reference is. The classic example of this kind of misunderstanding is the old classified ad that says "piano for sale by woman with mahogany legs."

EDIT:
This joke about a wife sending her engineer husband to the store:

“Go and get a pint of milk, and if they have eggs get six”

So he disappears and comes back ten minutes later with six pints of milk.

“Why on earth did you get six pints of milk?” His wife asks. He replies

“They had eggs.”

It's always best to reread what one writes in order to be sure that that that that we're talking about doesn't point to the wrong thing.

Last edited by Ernie Gilman on August 4, 2019 22:18.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse