The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Saturday August 3, 2019 at 19:15
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On August 3, 2019 at 09:26, highfigh said...
I made a nice wire stripper out of a needle nose pliers for my dad. That wasn't the goal,

The XY Problem again! What were you actually trying to accomplish?
but the tip of the pliers touched the metal junction box when I tried to cut the hot wire when I though that circuit was turned off.

Classic mistake number 4. We have all done that, except for the guys who are lying about it.
This was over 45 years ago and simple testers like the ones with three lights that are inserted into the receptacle didn't exist. Strips 14ga insulation off very nicely, without cutting into the wire.

Watt?
You have a tester with three lights that inserts into a receptacle and strips 14ga insulation off very nicely?

I have a story about a tester... While building a store, I had no power in a certain demo area and the electricians were still on site. I told them about it. They threw a 3-light tester into the outlet and showed me there was power. I stood there, puzzled, while they took the tester out and started to walk away. Then it occurred to me.

I told the guy to come back and put the tester into the outlet. It lit up properly. I told him "watch this," plugged my drill into the outlet, pulled the trigger, and the power indicator suddenly showed no power.

Somehow someone had managed to make a connection with 14ga wire that would pass enough current to light a neon bulb, but not enough to run an actual device. They fixed it but they never saw it to begin with.

I have a combination wrench that slipped out of my hand and touched both terminals of a car battery- has a couple of spots that are no longer covered with chrome. That would be a good way to show people that low voltage can still be dangerous.

Explain spot welding to them. Probably a quarter volt but at a hundred amps... just guessing.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse