The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday July 31, 2019 at 20:53
King of typos
Loyal Member
June 2002
This house I’m working on, so happens to be where I live too.

I know there are two meters. One of them should only meter power to one apartment. The other is for the second apartment and the rest of the house.

The second meter services, or at least should, my issue.

A) an UPS says wiring fault.
B) could be on a sub panel. (Where ground and neutral shall not be on the same buss).
C) 120 volts on ground to ground when tested to an different outlet. (Will test with ground to other prongs tomorrow.)
D) short ground and neutral wire does not spark.
E) swapped black and white wires. UPS still said wiring fault.
F) 120v between ground and white. (Yes, contradicts D.)
G) 0v between ground and black.

If I had hair, I’ll be pulling it out. Unless I am missing something so obvious that I cannot see it.

The only thing that I could think of. Is that this ground is really not connected at the panel. But between the outlet I am working on, which is first of 4 devices... 2 outlets and 2 switches which are in a single gang box and the panel is something I don’t know. There could be something plugged in that uses all three prongs. And there is a component (diode maybe?) that is connected between neutral and ground. And that’s putting 120v to the ground wire? But why does nothing happen when I touch ground and neutral?

I had to walk away from it because of the head scratcher.

I already discovered that there are 2 other outlets that should be on all the time. Are actually connected to the light dimmer for the sconces. Yes, dimmers. So I’ll be installing switches in where the dimmers are. Easiest and cheapest fix, house going on the market.

If there is anything else that I missed that I could test. Let me know.

KOT

Hosting Services by ipHouse