Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Saturday June 22, 2019 at 19:23
davidcasemore
January 2003
On June 22, 2019 at 16:21, crosen said...
I want every structured cable to have a fixed, stable and labeled endpoint that remains unchanged. It has nothing to do with looks. It has to do with longevity, maintainability and flexibility, as well as implementing clear and self documentation demarcation points between subsystems.

I agree. And in this case the SpeakON connectors by Neutrik will be your best bet. Banana jacks are the worst (and the spacing is the same as a European 230 volt electrical outlet. But you already knew that). I once saw a tech build a metal patch panel filled with banana jacks. He did not use insulating washers on the front and back of each jack. This resulted in all speaker outputs tied together in a dead short (what's that smell?).

The Neutrik SpeakONs come in 2, 4 and 8-pole configurations which can be handy for surround runs or bi-amp/bi-wiring. You can get them built into 1- or 2-gang plates or 19" rack mount panels. If you use pre-punched empty 19" rack panels with a "D" punch (SwitchCraft "E") then you can populate with XLRs (for active subs and stereo returns), LAN ports etc. as well as SpeakONs.

This is the way I look at the difference between an equipment rack, in an equipment room, and the structural wiring of the house (structure):

The CABLING is part of the structure and is terminated at both ends. Just like the plumbing, heating, electrical etc.

The RACK is like an appliance which is delivered to the house and then plugged in - albeit with a lot more plugs and connections than a washer/dryer!
Fins: Still Slamming' His Trunk on pilgrim's Small Weenie - One Trunk at a Time!

Hosting Services by ipHouse