Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 23 made on Monday June 17, 2019 at 19:32
BlackWire Designs
September 2006
On June 17, 2019 at 16:21, Daniel Tonks said...
I've been using a Ring Pro for about 1.5 years.

Mine was a bit of a nightmare to set up - first, it wouldn't turn on. So through a complete lack of information on the kind of power support it requires to run properly (beyond generic voltages), I decided the doorbell transformer wasn't powerful enough, and replaced it with a high capacity security system transformer. And yet it still wouldn't turn on. At least, not until after being connected to power for 36 hours when it just magically started working. I'd heard random reports of it taking a few hours to turn on... but 36? What kind of electronics works like that??

After 24 hours of not working I had another one sent out, and amazingly that replacement also took about 27 hours to turn on despite being connected to adequate power from minute one.

Wiring with an existing doorbell chime was a bit of a challenge (with multiple door switches to boot), but it DOES work. However the mechanical chime sounds LONG after the tone plays on the Ring itself and all mobile devices or Alexa, so it's a bit pointless.

Anyways, despite those challenges it's actually worked completely fine since then, never crashing or locking up or being unavailable. Lose power, and it comes back on right away (and not 36 hours later). My biggest gripe would be how long it takes to "answer" a ring on the phone (I basically never bother), but it's been invaluable for notifications and motion alerts, Alexa integration, and recordings of activity.

Definitely sounds like some of the original hardware. They have done massive amount of changes and tweaks to the products. The RMA rate on Ring is pretty low these days. I think they realized spending a few extra dollars saves them money.
BlackWire Designs

Hosting Services by ipHouse