The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Saturday May 18, 2019 at 10:05
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On May 17, 2019 at 12:33, Ernie Gilman said...
One might respond, well, technically, I suppose we don't want to consider using CAT5 at all, but we'd like to compare the technology we're going to use with the previous technology, to see how much better present technology performs.

I did a house that has wire mesh in the walls to hold the plaster in place and, of course, I was told that everyone wants to do things via WiFi. I may have said something like "Good for you" or "Well, life is full of little disappointments", but that was a few years ago. I explained why that would be difficult, especially since everyone uses Apple computers and hand-held devices, then looked for ways to hard wire access points. I found a phone jack in the Master Bedroom that was surface-mounted and that annoyed me to the point of wanting to flush-mount it just because that was a giant sign of the ATT installer's laziness and since it's a fine old home, it has no place. Sure enough, I removed the surface mount box and found a hole in the base molding that was more than large enough for a keystone insert to fit into. When I looked at the cable, I found that it had four pairs, but none were twisted the same as the Cat5e I have seen, but I needed to find a cable, so I punched it down, toned it and tested the speed with my computer via ethernet cable- it did over 40Mbps, which was the high end of what their plan specified, so I used it. I have heard of phone cable (Cat3) that worked for ethernet, so it seemed like a reasonable thing to attempt.

Cat5e was originally for 10/100 networks, but when I took a networking class in 2006, tests had shown it would do gigabit up to about 100 feet, as long as the cable wasn't abused.
For years I'd try to follow search parameter advice, meaning using as few terms as possible that relate EXACTLY to what I'm looking for. Meanwhile, google got better and better and now you can write a question just as you'd ask it. Of course, that doesn't mean our question-asking skills have advanced while google has gotten better....

I never thought I should need to learn to ask questions in a way that the search engine needs, especially after working with someone who was extremely good at programming and explaining that search engines are just 'sort programs' ('sort' used as a verb). Include what you need to find, or you won't find it.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse