The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday May 16, 2019 at 14:04
punter16
May 2011
All,

I have a question re: transmission speeds. We have a house that we went to where the computer-savvy customer claimed (everything was unhooked so we weren't able to see or test this):

- With his computer plugged directly into the modem he was getting speedtests of 600 Mbps down.

- With his computer plugged directly into a Netgear gigabit switch located in the panel (CAT cable goes from modem to switch) his speed went down to 300 Mbps down.

- With his computer plugged directly into a CAT5 wall jack in the Family Room (didn't test or check to see if it was CAT5 or CAT5e behind jack) he was getting 100 Mbps down. Path goes modem>switch>jack.

He's a big speed guy so he has CAT6 all over the floor in the interim to get the highest speeds possible. Rewiring will be messy due to the layout and multiple stories.

Thoughts? I can't find concrete numbers on transmission speed standards between CAT5 and CAT5e. I didn't check if the house was wired with CAT5 vs. CAT5e. The Netgear piece's manual states that it passes 100 Mbps down with CAT5 and 1000 Mbps down with CAT5e.

House isn't that big so the runs aren't ridiculously long (maybe 75'-100' runs?).

Any idea why the disparity in speeds? Has anyone seen CAT5 pre-wires that might cause this drop?

Thanks in advance
See our Youtube page for info about smart homes, great audio and more.

[Link: youtube.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse