The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Tuesday April 30, 2019 at 12:42
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On April 29, 2019 at 18:58, davidcasemore said...
The same article in the NEC also states that if the cables could POSSIBLY be used in the future they can stay - but each cable has to be labeled, at both ends, stating where the other end of the cable is.

The NEC reason for removing abandoned cables is to reduce the fire load.

Because some people who might do this kind of work are opportunistic and lazy, so someone asks for a wire and they say "Here's a wire".

Not a bad time to post the info-

[Link: mikeholt.com]

Stop fire from spreading
These three Art. 800 requirements reduce the spread of fire or products of combustion:

• Tag future use cables. If you don’t terminate some cables because they are for future use, identify each with a tag that can withstand the environment [800.25]. This distinguishes them from abandoned cables.

• Remove abandoned cables. If a cable doesn’t terminate and isn’t for future use, remove the accessible portion [800.2]. Cables installed in concealed raceways aren’t accessible, so you don’t have to remove them.

• Apply firestopping. Firestop openings in fire-rated walls, floors, and ceilings for electrical equipment. Use firestop material listed for the specific types of wiring methods and construction structures. Use firestop methods approved by the AHJ to maintain the fire-resistance rating of the fire-rated assembly [800.26]
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse