The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 50 made on Sunday April 14, 2019 at 20:50
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
From the mid 70s to the early 80s, Rogersound sold and installed car stereos. This came to an abrupt end one Saturday morning when the guys opened up the headquarters building, which was offices, main store, and main warehouse, and had to clear the building of smoke. The place was permeated.

It turned out that one of the car stereo guys, working on a Bentley (reputed to have been Wilt Chamberain's), he had drilled into a surface and somehow shorted something out in a magical way that made the car slowly smoke but never actually flame. (Or maybe it was just far enough from everything that the flames didn't spread.)

I wasn't working there at the time and I had not heard about it, but one day a couple of years later I noticed that the PVC piping going from the air compressor to the assembly line sagged quite noticeably, even though it was 1" pipe and was supported every four feet or so. I asked and was told of the smoke.

Seems it got so hot near the ceiling that the pipes softened and relaxed into nice catenaries. The air compressor had been bled, so the pipes didn't burst. Just relaxed.

The insurance people cleaned the place up pretty well, but they were closed for two weeks.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse