The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Friday April 12, 2019 at 08:56
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On April 11, 2019 at 19:17, Ernie Gilman said...
I read that as an argument for not learning a new word. Thin the herd doesn't have the sinister overtones that cull has, but you have to learn that.

Last time someone commented on something like this, it was because I used the word melisma. The comment was he didn't think he'd learn any new words here. That's a bit sad.

You don't think 'thin the herd' has the same sinister over/undertones? You need to improve your imagination. Bad lumber is culled, the herd is thinned. Which herd? That's for you to decide. How should it be thinned? That's up to you, too. Which members should go? Again, up to you. How does that not have sinister undertones?

I would bet that fewer people use the word 'cull'- if they don't want to expand their vocabulary, that's their problem but either can be used, to mean the same intent.

Here's another definition for 'cull'-

"select from a large quantity; obtain from a variety of sources."

Pretty scary.

I found an example for 'This the herd'-

Allowing natural selection to work its course, thus thinning out the population of those that can not survive on their own.
Criminal: 'gimme your f---ing money!!!'

Victim: (pulls gun out) BANG!!!

The victim has helped thin the herd.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse