The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Wednesday April 10, 2019 at 13:35
SWOInstaller
Select Member
October 2010
On April 10, 2019 at 12:37, highfigh said...
Uh, not everyone uses Crestron

I realize this, I was answering the question to the OP who informed the following:

On April 5, 2019 at 12:56, Richie Rich said...
There is a Crestron system in place, sleep mode on the cable boxes is off. But sometimes the boxes just resort to an off state after updates and get out of sequence and/or get stuck on stupid, especially after sitting dormant for months.

Open to suggestions. Budget is not an issue.

and your first comment ignores the original problem- the control system doesn't know the state of a device that doesn't have discrete power commands,

The system doesn't know the state of the CABLE BOX. There is nowhere that he mentions knowing/not knowing the power state of the TV or informs of other devices within the system that he MAY know the power state of. If he doesn't know the power state of another device he can create logic to mimic the power state in multiple different ways.

so other systems won't be able to use this workaround.

I am not proficient with all other control systems. The question may be requesting a work around but also informs there is a Crestron system installed so I can now base my answer with the Crestron system in mind. If someone were to ask the same question and inform they had a C4 or other control system, I would hope someone who is proficient with programming that system would answer the question with a work around for that control system.

Do you really think a person with a cable box and a TV will pay for this level of automation?

No, but this system has that level of automation, and he doesn't inform if there is more than just a cable box and TV.

Everyone here is always requesting more information, but then when it comes to answering the question with the information provided they look for a generic solution and not a solution for the specific question. If Richie didn't inform that there was a Crestron system installed, one of the first responses would have asked what control system is being used.

Why does the control system matter if everyone is providing a generic solution to work for every system? I answered Richie's question knowing that a Crestron System was installed and provided him specific examples for THIS system.

Highfigh and Ernie, maybe you should re-read the OP prior to bashing my response that was specific to this installation.
You can't fix stupid

Hosting Services by ipHouse