Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Friday April 5, 2019 at 12:56
Richie Rich
July 2002
I know this has come up a zillion times over the years (lack of discretes on cable boxes) but I have an interesting one here.

Combination of a vacation home, profoundly technophobic client and money, lots and lots of money.

Despite being fully capable of pressing the "power" button on the locally placed cable boxes, he doesn't want to have to do that.

House sits unused for months at a time and despite insistence that someone on his staff email me ahead of time prior to his visits they seldom do, resulting in everybody's favorite "nothing works, come fix it" phone calls at odd hours.

There is a Crestron system in place, sleep mode on the cable boxes is off. But sometimes the boxes just resort to an off state after updates and get out of sequence and/or get stuck on stupid, especially after sitting dormant for months.

Back in the day we used to just use video sync sensors to determine if the box was on/off but I doubt that is an option anymore.

Is there anything that can be put together to reliably track the status of his boxes and issue a power command as needed?

The boxes have no shortcuts or quasi discretes (numeric power, etc). Directv is not an option (my usual go to for people like this).

Open to suggestions. Budget is not an issue.
I am a trained professional..... Do not attempt this stunt at home.

Hosting Services by ipHouse