The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Wednesday March 27, 2019 at 13:56
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On March 27, 2019 at 11:44, highfigh said...
Older people generally know how to count change, but we were taught to do this.

Correct.
If there's a shortage of $10 bills, it's because the banks don't request them.

There could be local factors that cause this, too.
I live in Southern California, and shortage of tens was widespread and ongoing for years and years. A reason finally hit me one day when I went to Disneyland. At that time, parking was ten bucks. ATMs gave out twenties. The parking attendants each had their own wad of ten buck bills. I just figured Disneyland put in a strong, repeated request for all the tens that were to be had in the area. (Parking is now $25.)

On another note, I once thought to ask at my bank if they had any two dollar bills. The "banker" looked. She had $160 in new, sequentially numbered twos. These made a nice Christmas gift. They weren't expensive, and everyone gets some kind of reaction when they pay with a two. I gave my kids fifty bucks each.

Which, by the way, shows that two dollar bills are not only still around, they're still being printed.

On March 27, 2019 at 12:39, Trunk-Slammer -Supreme said...
Regarding the counting back up change and the youth of America?

No one is training them to do this this right way. I blame the management that never learned how to do it right, more than the young cashiers just starting out.

It would be ludicrous to blame the novice cashier. Counting out change COMPLETELY falls under the purview of the employee whose job it is TO TRAIN new employees.
For me, they do not get the chance to put change on top of bills and receipt. I refuse to let it happen. I take the opportunity to teach them the right way.

How do you stop them from doing it that way? When they start to put bills in your hand, do you pull your hand away and yell "GIVE ME THE COINS FIRST!" ?
Sometimes they get the DUH look, and sometimes they actually understand.

I thought I was the only guy who was willing to break the barrier from customer to employee down to person to person. Kudos to you.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse