The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 12 made on Tuesday March 26, 2019 at 17:13
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On March 26, 2019 at 16:45, highfigh said...
A lot of places forbid their employees to count the change and if someone hands over an amount that would mean they get a dollar bill as change, the person is supposed to return the extra coins and let the register determine the change.

This is exceedingly stupid (but within the range of normal for retail) and I haven't seen this yet. Could you name a few of these places?

When I'm actually at the point of conversation with a cashier, I'll sometimes tell them there's a way to make sure their clients don't drop the coins. See, if you WANTED people to drop coins, you'd put the paper in their hands, then put the coins on top. Coins slide nicely along paper, so it's easy to drop coins this way. And that's how newfangled*cash registers encourage you to give the change. $14.41 is obviously a ten dollar bill, a four dollar bill (or two twos), a quarter, a dime, a nickel, and a penny... resulting the paper going into your hand first.

Why wasn't this always a problem? Because registers did not always tell how much change to return. When you tried to pay $5.59 for that sub sandwich, the cashier would COUNT OUT sixty, seventy, seventy-five, six dollars; seven, eight, nine, ten, twenty dollars. The coins don't slide over the bills onto the floor. (Actually there's been a chronic shortage of ten dollar bills in the Los Angeles area for several years.)
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse