Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Sunday March 17, 2019 at 21:32
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Tommy,
that sounds cool and workable.

Yes, to change the subject... for some reason this reminds me of an off the wall solution I worked out in the mid 90s.

A sports bar added five TVs on a wall -- one really big RPTV with four smaller TVs around it. Each TV was fed by a DirecTV receiver, for which RF control was not an option at this point. The question was, how do we let the bartender choose different channels on the different DirecTV receivers?

I came up with the clunky but perfect idea of having the cabinet guy build a fixture that stacked up the IR sensors, one on top of another, each in its own wooden tube, with the sensors about a foot back inside each tube. To control a DirecTV receiver, you'd stick the front end of the remote into the appropriate tube, then hit buttons.

To turn all the receivers on or off, you'd back up a few feet and shoot an OFF or ON command at the entire stack of tubes.

Ah, inventing control hardware that included wood!

I hope this is understandable. It's a lot shorter than it might have been.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse