The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Sunday March 17, 2019 at 06:45
sebastian
Long Time Member
September 2003
Thanks again! That definitely sounds useful - I'm just not sure how much time and effort I want to be investing in ProntoScript...

I got my TSU9800 only last year when I ditched my TSU7000 for it.
Currently all my devices are controlled via IR and I don't use any of the RFX extenders.
I once had some RF-controlled power plugs that I could control directly with the TSU7000 (European model).
Most of them were attached to lights and they got replaced with Hue lights.

I've only played a few hours with ProntoScript so far.
I managed to connect with my home automation software (home-assistant.io) and I set up an activity to control my lights through that.
Currently, I don't see many use cases that would require extensive PS coding.
Reporting the TSU's battery state back to home-assistant was a thing I wanted to try for fun.
Also, I'm thinking about controlling Kodi (kodi.tv) through its JSON API instead of IR, but that's only an idea for now.

So far I only tested small code snippets at a time and watched the debug output inside a _PS_DEBUG panel in the simulator.
I've also applied the TCP patch for it, which is an enormous improvement.
Still I'm not sure I would want to start any larger projects in PS.
Currently I'm preparing my code in a decent editor and then copy&paste it into PEP3, which can become pretty cumbersome.
Having most of the code reside in a custom library might ease things up a little, though.

As it is now, on the one hand I'm grateful for the flexibility PS allows you, but on the other hand I'd probably always check first if there's another way to solve a "problem".

Sebastian

Hosting Services by ipHouse