The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 97 made on Monday February 18, 2019 at 11:39
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On February 17, 2019 at 19:27, iform said...
That is probably one of the greatest thing about growing up, never having to worry about going to the hospital. Not worrying about much in general.

And that can lead to people doing things that could injure them because they don't worry about the consequences of risky behavior. Don't get me wrong, I like to go fast and I used to downhill ski but if people never give it a thought, it would seem that the Darwin Awards has plenty of competitors. I could never afford to be off of work in the event of a bad injury, though.

I think the average family pays around $833 per month for health insurance in USA, I pay a little less in federal taxes on my paychecks per month. That pays for the single payer healthcare we have in Canada and everything else the federal government pays for.
I am trying to understand how this would bankrupt America if you moved to universal coverage?

Could you give a ballpark for the cost of the additional insurance?

The number of people in the US who don't pay ANY income tax is far more than the total population of Canada and I already posted a link that shows the top 1% pays about 39% of the total revenue for personal tax- the problem with the US is that the system has been allowed to become what it is, by politicians who avoided doing anything to stop it, for decades.

|The pay is about the same whether you pay an insurance company or in taxes.

Have you heard about the way the US government's practice of taking money that was earmarked for one thing and using it for something else? The Federal Government is the largest employer in the US- around 2.1 million employees, averaging over $90K/year.

Also, you don't have our politicians.

[Link: downsizinggovernment.org]

Some people here are worried about the future of employees at these health insurance companies, but I wouldn't worry about that since other opportunities exist. Here in Canada the health coverage doesn't pay for everything, dental, eyesight and other areas aren't covered and still need health coverage from companies like Blue Shield and they still need employees.

If the US needed that many people to do that kind of work, our job reports would reflect it- they don't. We have very low unemployment at the moment (subject to the figures for those who have stopped looking or reporting)- what we need is people for skilled trades and manufacturing.

* my 2 pennies (which we don't use anymore in Canada)

No, they must have been sent down here- every time I take my change to the bank to get paper bills, I find Canadian coins and I'm sure some have come from banks. Do they accept them from me? Nooooooooo!

Do you want some, for old time's sake?

Last edited by highfigh on February 18, 2019 11:57.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse