The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Thursday February 14, 2019 at 22:19
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On February 14, 2019 at 18:36, imt said...
I know it goes in an electrical box.

Your complaint completely fit the complaint of someone who did not realize that.

From the pic on the Ethereal piece, it looks like there are 3 exposed metal terminals on the back of the outlet connected to the pigtails of the three wires in the left pic.

It sure does.
Maybe I am making a bigger deal out of this but my feeling was a potential for the bare ground wire to contact one of the non-ground terminals when pushing into the outlet box.

The bare ground wire would be screwed down to a box or wire-nutted to a ground wire, so could not make accidental contact with anything.
If the wires connected to side screw terminals or pushed in the back, like a standard receptacle I wouldn't have second guessed. The snapav one has 3ea metal points exposed on the back and had an issue once with shorting out when using in a metal outlet box,

Now this IS the problem you worry about.
which is what why it has to be used in a versabox.

Surely a blue PVC electrical box is all that's needed, though a versabox also solves the problem.
Versabox was remote mounted in closet due to stud spacing behind TV and used powerkit from TV location to versabox.

The Midlite piece I linked has the romex sealed to the body of the outlet.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse