The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 3 made on Tuesday February 5, 2019 at 23:49
Tkarns24
Long Time Member
August 2010
Danm Barry, If you post did not have some gold nuggets of information I would say that you might have just been bragging.lol
Here goes the questions:
Why did you choose to go with a Theater control PC?Could I use the URC MRX2 for the same effect?
When you say "TCP/IP protocol information readily available from the device manufactures" are you taking about calling a support tech up for this information and asking or that its on their websites? I have been having a difficult time finding information about some of my item.
I just purchased the videostorm IRUSB dongle and then found out that the URC module is $79

Also Barry is this in the best place I have gotten no other feedback other than yours

On February 5, 2019 at 14:58, Barry Gordon said...
My entire theater is IP based (finally). The Theater control system is an Asrock Beebox PC programmed to handle each device I own over TCP/IP. Most were straight forward with the TCP/IP protocol information being readily available from the device manufacturers. I did all my own coding as I was a programmer at one point in my life.

The theater's Human interface is a Phillips Pronto 9800 (or an iPad or an iPhone or . . .). It deals with the PC using a Wi-Fi link and TCP/IP.

The theater components are:
JVC projector
Anthem AVP60 with a full Atmos speaker configuration (7.4.1)
Amazon FireTV cube
Nvidia Shield
Tivo 4 tuner DVR
Dune 4K player for rendering movies (DVD, BluRay) stored on a NAS
Logitech Transporter for Music

The Shield and the FireTV both required a Videostorm IRUSB Dongle which handles both IR and TCP/IP; all other devices have native TCP/IP RJ45 connections. There is a 16 port switch as part of the theater and all components with the exception of the Pronto run through the switch.

The room has automated full darkening shades (Rollertron motors) and an automated pocket door (Autoslide) both of which are controlled by the PC.

My home is fully IP based for everything except an electric Fireplace and a few TV's which are IR controlled using a Global Cache which is TCP/IP controlled.

There is an Amazon DOT in every room (The theater has the FireTV cube) so full voice control of everything is available. The biggest problem I have with the Voice control is remembering what I named things!

The UDI controller is fully integrated with the Amazon Alexa DOTs. The UDI can issue TCP or UDP network commands from the DOTs giving me full control of everything using voice. I just find the Pronto with its hard buttons easier.

Hosting Services by ipHouse