The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 40 made on Monday January 28, 2019 at 12:25
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On January 28, 2019 at 10:30, highfigh said...
.005" is a bit fine for working with wood unless it was MDF. Any wood will move more than that unless the climate is controlled very closely but I understand wanting accuracy.

The shelves were made in a way similar to airplane wings: hollow with thin skins (like the carpenter) and steel reinforcements at the front and back to minimize bowing of the shelf. These puppies held up four A/V receivers across their width with no visible bowing. Their thickness was pretty damn consistent!

The point was not to ask a person to do things to five thousandths accuracy. It was to show him an item (or, in this case, about 60 items) that had been built to that accuracy, and give him the $200 worth of yardstick so he could do better than he had before. It worked perfectly.

I just remembered that one of the rules was six feet long. That might have cost $200 all by itself, and that was 1987.

The carpenter on the job who yapped about how I should feed my cable saw the bow in the wall behind the desk when we placed the glass top on it and said "Wow!" as if he had never seen it before. I found that odd since he had installed the desk, mounted the top without scribing it and filled the gap with caulk.

The boss of the guys I was working with insisted that he could build a straight wall using 2x4s. Our designer asked for steel studs. The guy put in wood and had to rip it out and put in steel studs.

Why? Because we were creating "lifestyle areas" (and severly pissing off Bose) that were systems three steps down from the main floor, and as you approached the stairs you could see right straight along the wall. The wood wall was horrible. The steel stud wall was perfect.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse