The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 21 made on Wednesday January 23, 2019 at 10:04
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 23, 2019 at 02:18, Ernie Gilman said...
You're not keeping up with what you write.

I need to keep up? You're the one who's confused.

That huge amount of detail was for your benefit. I wrote this, in which I just now saw the typo in orange:

And yet, I didn't benefit from it because I already knew it. My post showed that the resistance would be about 25% and I wrote that before I located the chart. Been doing this for a while, OK?

So, you got it, right? I claim that combining two wires of the same gauge in parallel a)halves their resistance and b)comes to the resistance of a wire of a gauge number three smaller, that is, for instance, 24 to 21.

I used 24ga for the wire because, well, that's what Cat5e is made of. You need to make the leap from 24ga to 18ga without needing to have a layover at 21ga.

AND JUST NOW, after reading this, yes, rapidly several times over the last couple of days, I see that you said the resistance would be 25%... so yes, you said the same thing. I gave the numbers showing it would halve, then halve again. Expressing anything as a percentage was the furthest thing from my mind.  When you cited a percentage, I TOTALLY missed that you were on the same subject. As I've said before, you and I talk about things differently. Sorry I missed that!

No difference. We learn fractions before decimal and percentages- we should be able to do any or all of these, interchangeably. Be happy I didn't convert to Metric.

You would think I'm insane if you ever see the diagrams I use when I design things to build, myself. I mix fractions and decimal, mainly because it's a bit faster to express 23/32" (or some other fine increment) than the decimal equivalent. I studied Architecture, which is all fractions, but I have done work where machining was used, which is usually decimal. I'm comfortable with both and, having serviced boats & cars, I don't have a problem if Metric is used. If I need to make a drawing for someone else to use, I stay with one type.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse