The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 13 made on Monday January 21, 2019 at 09:45
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 20, 2019 at 21:59, Ernie Gilman said...
The resistance of two of the same conductor in parallel roughly equals the resistance of a wire three numbers larger on the chart. Frinstance, two #4 in parallel are about the same as a #21. Take two such setups and parallel them, and you'll effectively have 18 gauge. It's worth sticking in your brain somewhere that a CAT5 cable, using all conductors, is roughly equivalent to an 18 gauge pair.
Yes, roughly. But...

Really? Did you look at the chart for the resistance of 24ga vs 18ga? I did and that's why I wrote that the resistance would be ~25%. Jesus! Read, don't skim! I have to tell myself to do the same but if you doubt my statements, the least you could do is look at the source!

Oops, that last assertion doesn't pan out.
A power supply rated for more current will be able to output more current than one rated for a lower current. But you're talking about somehow getting more current out of a supply at 12 volts than out of another supply at 12 volts, with the same load each time. That won't happen. 12 volts divided by the same load in two different setups will be the same current.

Will two power amps produce the same output into low impedance loads? Why not?

Power supply. If one power supply is more robust, the output will be more similar to connecting to a higher impedance load and if not, we'll see them rated for output @1KHz into 8 Ohms. Also, did you NOT see my comment about a regulated supply?

What WILL happen, that might influence things, is that if you have an unregulated supply, its output will float up to about 16 volts when there's no load on it, and it will.... it should... output nice clean 12 volts DC when the supply's rated load is being drawn. Important: an unregulated supply will output more volts when less than its rated load is drawn. When more than its rated load is drawn, it will drop slightly from its rated voltage and hum will be introduced into the output voltage.

While that might be true, it's like mentioning the food coloring you'd use to make gummi bears while telling someone how to make boeuf bourguignon. It's the same field, and it's a fact, but it doesn't help and might even confuse someone who's thinking the answers are all related things.

And I still haven't had the time to actually write my response to the original question.

Maybe you should have responded to the original- you wasted time with your first comment about not having time and here you are, not responding to it again.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse