Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 37 made on Saturday January 12, 2019 at 15:30
Knowinnothin
Long Time Member
May 2011
On 1547235147, Ernie Gilman said...
I've just looked up "backhaul" because I've never heard the term, and I've seen one explanation. Could you give us a short explanation of it? My probably erroneous understanding at this point is that to get the fastest wifi system, you need a wired connection back to the router from each access point. This, even on a mesh network, where not requiring ethernet is one of the advantages of it.

Please explain?

Thank you.

Sorry Ernie, poor choice of words.

What i'm trying to explain is that for a mesh network to work decently it has to have a radio dedicated for communication between the individual units. This way its not using the same resources it has for the devices connecting to it.

ie: Cellular, wisp and wifi all work on similar principles, a cell tower for instance has either (3) 120 degree sectors on it or (4) 90 degree sectors on it that cover 360 degrees for roughly 20km (12.5miles). it is either connected back to the network via fiber or via a separate wireless link.

In my experience with wifi and wisp anything over 1 wireless hop and performance suffered. What i mean by this is assuming your mesh kit has dedicated radios for communication between the radio's you still DON'T want the one radio hardwired to be at the beginning or the end of the chain. Having it in the middle enables both wireless connected units to talk directly to the unit that is hardwired. If you have the hardwired at the beginning or the end of the chain then one unit is doing a wireless hop to the next before it hits the hardwired unit and you are creating bottleneck.

Ive got a plex server at home and i have zero problems watching 4KUHD disc rips on tv's via wifi using roku or firetv 4K sticks. Most of you are using alot more expensive wireless gear then me so their should be no issues.

Hosting Services by ipHouse