The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Saturday January 12, 2019 at 10:21
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
Has anyone used one of the ASUS routers with 8 antlers?

[Link: bhphotovideo.com]

This is the model that's at the house I mentioned before, where the husband replaced everything. I left a message that I was available to look at the system and he called yesterday- I asked again if he selected TKIP or AES and he said "I think it was the first one", so, I guess he's an expert.

So much of an expert that he took it upon himself to go to the structured wiring enclosure and unplug every cable from the network switch and the cable that connects the router (in the 2nd floor office) to the switch. The Ubiquity AP was in the bedroom and, while it worked OK, the cable was run under some rugs on the floor because he had somehow concluded that "a mouse had chewed the cable in the wall". Couldn't bother to test at the jack, but that wouldn't have mattered anyway, because that's not where the problem existed.

This router has dual WAN ports and he had inserted the cable going TO the switch into the one that was left after connecting to the modem. I connected my computer to this port and had no connection but did when I tried another port. I moved the cable to the same port, connected it to the port on the wall plate that goes to the switch and found that not only did it restore the speed at all of the wall plate jacks, I found that the AP in the master BR wasn't even necessary. The speed tests were all higher than 30Mbps down, although the upload speed varied a bit- still adequate for what they'll be doing and it's very close to the speed they're supposed to see when I tested using a wired or wireless connection.

The house is large and built with materials that make RF coverage a difficult proposition but with the Engenius AP in the Sun Room on the 1st floor, it covers EVERYWHERE, including the pool house. I was actually impressed. OTOH, B&H sells this router for $350, so....

I love billable time.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse