The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Saturday January 5, 2019 at 14:28
highfigh
Loyal Member
September 2004
On January 5, 2019 at 11:29, Ernie Gilman said...
If you never have to crank longer than that and you don't ever have to push on the gas pedal. Not even in the dark of winter.

Yeah. You gotta love the sound that makes!

Plus, sorry, URC, but I wonder if URC RF products are so perfect that you want to drive around with one of them powered up, just ready to crank your starter if you happen to drive into some squirrely RF situation out on the road.

Plus, at some point, some weisenheimer is going to ask just how you figure to turn the ignition on in the first place before you crank the starter. It's not good enough to just crank. The ignition needs to be able to be turned on first. And do you want a URC receiver sitting out in the wild with a relay that could turn on your ignition and leave it on? Say... overnight?

I'd look into products specifically made to do just this. I bet their warranties make using a URC piece look a bit scary. For instance, as highfigh says,

It would need a group of relays to handle all of the power switching, then hand off to the car when the driver gets in with the key. The typical remote start units have IGN, Crank, heater, brake light switch, tach and other connections, to make sure the engine and vehicle aren't damaged. The brake switch input is for killing the engine if someone pressed the pedal without turning the key to Run. Also, the manufacturers usually state clearly that these are not to be installed in vehicles with manual transmission because the neutral safety switch can fail or be defeated, as in the example given by the Alpine trainers.
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Hosting Services by ipHouse