The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Saturday January 5, 2019 at 11:29
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On January 4, 2019 at 22:30, Duct Tape said...
then program the relay to turn on momentarily.  .3 seconds should be good enough.

If you never have to crank longer than that and you don't ever have to push on the gas pedal. Not even in the dark of winter.

On January 5, 2019 at 10:15, highfigh said...
One major thing that makes this different from a regular remote start is that it receives no tach info and that means it could still crank when the engine is already running.

Yeah. You gotta love the sound that makes!

Plus, sorry, URC, but I wonder if URC RF products are so perfect that you want to drive around with one of them powered up, just ready to crank your starter if you happen to drive into some squirrely RF situation out on the road.

Plus, at some point, some weisenheimer is going to ask just how you figure to turn the ignition on in the first place before you crank the starter. It's not good enough to just crank. The ignition needs to be able to be turned on first. And do you want a URC receiver sitting out in the wild with a relay that could turn on your ignition and leave it on? Say... overnight?

I'd look into products specifically made to do just this. I bet their warranties make using a URC piece look a bit scary. For instance, as highfigh says,

Make sure you use a Bosch-style 30A relay for the actual connection to the starter wires and that you connect to the Crank wire for your car. If the relay duration isn't variable, I would consider using a normal remote start. There's a difference between crank RPM and Run RPM and the brains need to know when it's doing one or the other.

Viper has one that is controlled via iPhone or Android, for $200 and it allows tracking of the vehicle.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse