Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 2 made on Wednesday December 26, 2018 at 00:17
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
E D I T :

When I wrote this I had not picked up that the LEDs are not two LEDs, but are instead one LED fed from two IR systems. So most of what I say in this post isn't accurate. Why did I get it wrong? The model number was given and I could have verified what it was, but I didn't. Instead, I read "Im using Xantech 282TP Emitters -- one them gets [etc]" and that clearly implied that there are two LEDs. Anyway, the original post:

Forgive me. I've been told I'm process-oriented, so I will take a moment to change this around to indicate signal flow. If I get something wrong, that's where you'll need to look first.

On December 25, 2018 at 21:23, jisaac said...
Hi all,

Im using Xantech 282TP Emiiters-- one them gets its IR signal from a 3.5 mini jack on a standard Xantech connecting block. (Model, please?) I also have an AMX NI-400, and I'm using a phoenix connector to mini JACK adaptor to connect to one of its ports for the other IR emitter.

Ok. Now we see where things come from and where they go.

Problem is that IR coming from the AMX NI 4100 wont work unless the 3.5 mini plug going into the Xantech block is completely disconnected--therefore defeating the purpose of this device. (Describe your purpose for this device unless the next sentence is exactly it.) I need this to work from both the Xantech block AND the AMX system.

Ok. You have signals from two IR systems going to separate IR emitters, both mounted on an unknown component (it probably doesn't matter but it's nice to share what it is).

Re "problem" -- when the emitter is connected to both the AMX and the Xantech, does the Xantech control the unknown device?

It's unlikely but possible that the Xantech IR is emitting IR all the time, thus messing up the IR signal from the AMX piece. Get out your cell phone, point its camera at an IR remote, push a button, and see if the camera shows the IR as a white or light purple glow. That would indicate that your camera can see IR.

If it can see IR, then put the camera up near the Xantech IR emitter and see if it's dark under the circumstances where the AMX control signal doesn't work.

this setup uses a basic Xantech IR system as a backup in the video zones along with an advanced control system.

What do you mean by backup? Does it receive IR signals from somewhere at the same time the AMX sends signals? Is there a chance that the signal from the AMX emitter is hitting whatever sensor (tell us about it) the Xantech system uses?

Is there even a chance that for some reason that I can't even start to explain, when the emitter on the AMX system lights up, and the emitter on the Xantech system lights up, there is somehow a slight time delay between the two? That might be enough to confuse the mystery controlled device.

How the Xantech behaves when the AMX is not in play is an important detail here.

Any ideas what might be going wrong??

See above.
thx!

YW!

Last edited by Ernie Gilman on December 26, 2018 22:30.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse